Paper Type for Matte Photo Paper?

aflundi

Paper Type for Matte Photo Paper?

Post by aflundi »

Do I understand correctly that the only matte photo paper "Paper Type" is "Fine Art paper"? I profiled the Red River Premium Matte Plus paper (11mil, 232gsm) using the "Matte inkjet paper" type and only later read in the documentation (page 53) that this paper type is "not for matte photo paper". "Fine Art paper" type is described as being for "thick, matte paper usually with a rough surface". I tried using "Other paper" for a matte-surfaced cotton canvas (17mil) and noticed that this paper type assumes a glossy surface, so I re-profiled it as a "Fine Art paper" type.

So what paper type is right for a normal (not thick) matte photo paper? Would it be possible to expand a bit beyond what is in the TurboPrint2 manual on exactly what each paper type is for and which paper type should be used when the paper doesn't match any of the types and descriptions documented?
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Paper Type for Matte Photo Paper?

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the setting "Matte Paper" is for matte coated paper, the setting "Fineart Paper" is for thicker matte coated paper.

The term "Photo Paper" is a bit misleading - in most cases it is used for paper with a glossy, semi-glossy or satin finish.
However, the "Red River Premium Matte Plus Paper" seems to be a matte coated paper.

The only difference between the settings "Matte Paper", "Fineart Paper" is that the printer is set to heavy paper which usually means slower feeding and the distance between print head and paper is increased.

The setting "Glossy / Semiglossy" will increase ink amounts and

- for printers that have two different black inks: switch to photo/glossy black
- for printers that have a pigmented black ink that is not suited for glossy paper: switch to "composite black" (mix of cyan, magenta and yellow)

If you are uncertain, print the profile chart once with the setting "Fineart Paper" and once with the setting "Glossy / Semiglossy" and decide which one looks better:

- which print has deeper black?
- is black scratch resistant?
aflundi

Re: Paper Type for Matte Photo Paper?

Post by aflundi »

Excellent and informative answer. Many thanks!!