Turboprint will not print to Canon iP90

Questions on certain printers and applications
Jim_HiTek

Turboprint will not print to Canon iP90

Post by Jim_HiTek »

It wasn't showing the correct ink level after installing new Canon cartridges so went to Win10, found that I needed to install the drivers for Win8.1 so I did, and then reset the app's ink levels. That then showed 100% ink in Win10 using the Canon printer app.

Returned to Ubuntu 22.04 where my copy of Turboprint is installed and Turboprint DOES now show the correct ink level. But it doesn't print a Test Page. The green activity light flashes once, but the sheet doesn't advance and nothing is printed. However, if I have it do a nozzle check, it works fine, advances the paper and prints the nozzle check.

If I use the generic iP90 printer in CUPS that does print (incorrectly-it prints a garbled line at the bottom of the page, it's why I bought Turborprint) but at least it's printing. It's prints fine in Win10. If I try to print this page of text using Turboprint, it flashes the green light but never prints. And the Print Que is empty.

I can't find the version # for Turboprint in help as there is no help. Clicking Help doesn't open my Brave browser either (as I believe it should) though I've tried to set it to do so. And how to set that up isn't intuitive.

Any help to get Turboprint to actually print? Any help with setting up Help?

Thanks.
Jim_HiTek

Re: Turboprint will not print to Canon iP90

Post by Jim_HiTek »

I found that I have V2.53-1_amd64. Also found that there is a 'Reinstall' button when I clicked on the .deb package. So I clicked that for a reinstall.

It's been stuck here for 14 minutes now:

(Reading database ... 490393 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../turboprint_2.53-1_amd64.deb ...
/usr/share/turboprint/lib/uninstall-pre: line 9: Web: command not found
rm: cannot remove '/ppd': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/lib/pipeutility': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/html_fr': No such file or directory
Unpacking turboprint (2.53-1) over (2.53-1) ...
Setting up turboprint (2.53-1) ...
/usr/share/turboprint/lib/install-post: line 16: Web: command not found
/usr/share/turboprint/lib/install-post: line 56: /turboprint/install.log: No such file or directory
/usr/share/turboprint/lib/install-post: line 57: /turboprint/install.log: No such file or directory
/usr/share/turboprint/lib/install-post: line 58: /turboprint/install.log: No such file or directory
/usr/share/turboprint/lib/install-post: line 60: /turboprint/install.log: No such file or directory
/usr/share/turboprint/lib/install-post: line 61: /turboprint/install.log: No such file or directory
/usr/share/turboprint/lib/install-post: line 62: /turboprint/install.log: No such file or directory
/usr/share/turboprint/lib/install-post: line 63: /turboprint/install.log: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access '': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access '': No such file or directory
cp: cannot copy a directory, '/doc', into itself, '/doc/doc'

Me again: I don't recall there being any install problems originally. That was in Ubuntu 21.10 if I remember correctly.
Jim_HiTek

Post by Jim_HiTek »

IT FILLED UP MY HDD! IT'S A 1TB HDD AND THERE'S ONLY 1.6 GB LEFT. AND I KNOW FOR SURE IT WAS TURBOPRINT'S REINSTALL ROUTINE. GAH!!

The app just closed not more then 1 minute ago after faulting out with numerous error messages. I had chores to do and sort of forgot it was running. It's been running this entire time filling my HDD with something!
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello Jim,

I am sorry that you encountered problems installing and using TurboPrint. I am not sure where the problem is, but I would recommend to uninstall the .deb package in the Ubuntu Software app and then try installation from Terminal window using the .tgz archive of TurboPrint - this way you have more control over the installation process.

It sounds as if a large log file has filled up your HDD (such a problem has not been reported before). I think it should be sufficient to delete the content of the directory /var/log/turboprint

After installing TurboPrint again, it is important that you select the correct driver for your printer - "Canon PIXMA iP90". If it still doesn't print, please send the log file /var/log/turboprint/print.log by email to mail <at> zedonet <dot> com
Jim_HiTek

Post by Jim_HiTek »

I just got back to the desktop and have another couple hours of work to do to restore all the files I had to remove to be able to boot. The dive was 99.9% full. Whether or not it was with the Turboprint 'Log' file I have no idea. Now it only has 4 items @ 8.2 KB and I didn't remove any. I just transferred a bunch of files to be able to fix boot, then I used Bleachbit (not as superuser) to reclaim nearly 350 GB of HDD space. Then I tested Turboprint.

It took all day of work to get back to the desktop. Part of that has to do with the aged tools I have in my software toolbox. But I need them so seldom under normal Linux circumstances that having Turboprint trash my system was a shock.

Turboprint is not working at all now. It doesn't find the printer at all but the Printers menu shows it, and prints (incorrectly) to it.

Not an expert so I need CURRENT instructions on how to remove Turboprint completely from a Ubuntu 22.4 system using Mate desktop using TERM. Nothing I find online is current. I'm no expert and have little idea of what you mean when you say uninstall the .deb package? How? I don't know how to use a .tgz archive to install either. Usually I dbl click on whatever I've downloaded and in this case, I used the evaluation package for 30 days, then waited another month or two before purchasing a license so it was long ago and my memory has faded but I recall it was difficult.

I have the .deb file, the .tpkey, and the invoice on my backup drive.

I don't have any unusual config for it so a full uninstall is fine. Will this screw up my Key? I've read that others that tried to reinstall the .deb weren't able to use their key.

Thanks.

I had 12 unusual /dev/zram0 thru /dev/zram11 699 MB Block Devices show up in 'Disk' when I was using Boot Repair. Not shown in GParted using a Live CD though. GParted just showed the disk as completely full. They couldn't be formatted, showed no files, and seemed to be using 84 GB of disk space in total. I have no idea if they were put there by Turboprint or not.
Jim_HiTek

Post by Jim_HiTek »

Used a better search query and found current instructions on how to 'purge' Turboprint (TP). Followed those and your instructions above, then searched and found Turboprint's excellent instructions on how to download a new copy and reinstall so that's what I did. It didn't seem troubled by the new install and accepted my Key.

Turboprint is now showing the correct ink level. So this all started because I reset the Canon iP90 in Win10 using Canon's app, then moved back to Ubuntu 22.04 and since TP still didn't show the ink levels correctly, tired to 'reinstall' so it would show the correct ink levels and that routine filled my HDD so it couldn't be used. Cost me many many hours of work (some self-induced because of lack of current tools and lack of an adequate backup) which are still ongoing as several apps still aren't working correctly.

I see that Turboprint now has a 'Reset Ink' button that I don't recall seeing before so I shouldn't need to use 'reinstall' again. I'll do it the hard way next time if it's necessary.

Anyway, Turboprint is printing, EXCEPT the 'Help' function shows this, ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND. Opera opens when I click help in TP, but I get that error message. I don't have FireFox or Konqueror on my system as I prefer Brave (yes, I'm aware of the issues). I just installed Opera using Snap and then rebooted but the link in TP is broken.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello and please excuse the late answer! It is good to hear that you already solved the problem with printing.

About the online documentation: Maybe you can open it from Opera by navigating to the directory where the help files are located:

/usr/share/turboprint/doc/html_de/index.html

The documentation is also available in a PDF file that contains the same information:

https://www.turboprint.info/manual/Manual-TurboPrint2.pdf