Pixma Pro 9000 MKII PrintFab 2.97-4

Questions on certain printers and applications
heuristik

Pixma Pro 9000 MKII PrintFab 2.97-4

Post by heuristik »

I'm so happy to find this group.

A week ago I updated my iMac to Ventura. Everything seemed to be working until I tried to print from Lightroom. I'd been limping along with the original Canon drivers for my Pixma Pro. After the update, what was present was a generic USB driver for the printer, and the old printer driver could not be installed. I thought I would have to, finally, ditch the printer. That's when I stumbled across PrintFab. I downloaded the demo and found that it works more-or-less perfectly. I'm still learning my way around. But for anyone interested, everything seems ok so far under Ventura.

I do have one issue, which I can manage. When I'm printing a large, 13x19 photo, I am given the choice of "Automatic," "Manual," or "Auto-Select." If Since sheets of this size want the front tray, I select "Manual," but I have to re-select it every time I print or it reverts to one of the other settings. If I use auto-select, the printer hangs after ingesting the sheet and the amber light flashes 10 times which means it thinks the front tray is in the wrong position. So I'm wondering two things.

1. If I select Manual, should that setting persist until I change it?
2. What should auto-select do?

I know this printer is old, but it's a great printer. I've been able to get ink, and there is a vendor in England who produces CLI-8 compatible inks and guarantees a similar durability.
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Pixma Pro 9000 MKII PrintFab 2.97-4

Post by zedonet »

Hello, I just answered by email:

Auto-Select

The setting "Auto-Select" is something that macOS adds (and that the PrintFab driver cannot remove), this setting is a "duplicate" of the setting "Automatic Feed" which means the automatic sheet feeder at the top of the printer.

Persistance of paper feed selection

MacOS makes it difficult for printer drivers to control certain settings, among them is the paper feed setting that is not "sticky".

It should help to create a "Preset" in the print dialog, i.e. configure the printer driver settings as you want them and then select "Presets:"="Save current settings as preset..." (at the top of the macOS print dialog, just below the printer selection).