Epson ET-2850 Transparency issue

Tecniko68

Epson ET-2850 Transparency issue

Post by Tecniko68 »

Hello,
I downloaded PrintFab for Windows to try and make screen films for my PCBs with an EPSON ET-2850.
After a few tries I immediately realized that something is wrong:
If you set the "Transparency" paper type, black is always printed by mixing the three "dye" inks, regardless of the "Halftone Screen Mode" settings!
I've tried all possible combinations but black printing with pigmented ink only works by selecting "Plain Paper", "Epson Inkjet Paper", "Archival Matte" or "Epson Matte Heavy". All "Glossy" types of paper won't use the pigmented black!
Even changing the Resolution or the Color Mode does not solve the problem.
Obviously a print on film with the mix of dye inks is absolutely not usable under UV light.
Also, this printer does not recognize transparencies without them being selected as the paper type. I tried several times but often it starts printing for a few seconds and then ejects the sheet, other times it stops and then jams!
To be able to print the transparency I had to stick a sheet of plain paper underneath to cheat the optical sensor, but is just a boring workaround...
Finally, using the standard Epson driver set , a print of BW images on transparency is correctly completed with the use of pigmented black ink only, but obviously with insufficient saturation.

Thank you
Alex
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Epson ET-2850 Transparency issue

Post by zedonet »

Hello Alex,

in the PrintFab driver for the Epson ET-2850, the setting Transparency prints with "composite black" = Cyan+Magenta+Yellow.
Please select "Paper"="Epson Matte Heavy" instead, this media setting will cause pigmented black ink to be used instead.

The ET-2850 printer doesn't officially support transparent media, but according to our experience it works quite reliably. Of course you can put a sheet of transparency and a sheet of white paper underneath in the paper tray and while the printer is feeding, push them a bit to make sure that both are pulled in.

You wrote that printing on transparent film works better with the original Epson driver - which media setting did you select in the Epson driver?
Tecniko68

Re: Epson ET-2850 Transparency issue

Post by Tecniko68 »

I tried to print again with the original Epson driver... I don't understand anything anymore!
I no longer able to end a print on transparency, no way.
The printer apparently loads the transparency correctly and starts printing, but prints about an inch before stopping (the sheet doesn't even eject).
No error appears, simply the printer just "thinks" it has completed all printing...amazing!

It is clear that this printer does not support transparencies so I think the only way is to have a white sheet loaded together with the transparency.
In this case I want to warn other users of this printer model that its sheet gripping system discriminates single sheets very well, therefore if you want to print on a transparency you have to stick a sheet of plain paper on its back with double-sided tape along the short edge of the paper (i.e. the side that will fed the printer). If the two attached sheets do not match well, the printer may not recognize the correct size and immediately eject the sheet, or at worst jam and ruin the transparency!
If I could go back, I would choose the printer more carefully: wanting to keep the standard colors (no multi-black), the pigmented black ink and transparency support are two essential requirements for printing screening transparencies.

Thanks anyway for the support!
Alex