Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-300 Red Ink

Questions on certain printers and applications
fguerraz

Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-300 Red Ink

Post by fguerraz »

Hello,

I'm currently evaluating Turboprint on Linux, so far my experience has been pretty good.
I just have a question about red Ink control. I can see the level of red ink in the control pannel but then when I print a pricture I don't see it in the Ink Ctrl pannel.
Does that mean that Turboprint doesn't use the red ink with this printer? Only in specific circumstances? If so which ones?

Kind regards,
F
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-300 Red Ink

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the Canon imagePROGRAF Pro-300 can only be controlled by the printer driver in "Device RGB" color space which means that the printer accepts a RGB bitmap for the page and does the conversion to the actual printer inks (Yellow, Magenta, Cyan, Black, Grey, Red, ...) within the printer firmware. For this reason it is not possible to adjust the usage of red ink individually.
fguerraz

Post by fguerraz »

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.
Just out of curiosity, and because understanding those details help getting better results in the end, does Turboprint apply the colour profiles itself to the RGB image it sens to the printer or does it send the original with the profile alongside it?

Do any of the settings on the printer itself, like paper type, matter in the end?

Kind regards,
F
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Here are the answers to your questions (sorry for the delay):

- TurboPrint applies the colour profile to the RGB data
- the settings on the printer itself don't matter when printing with TurboPrint