Canon ImagePrograph 1000

kngdmond

Canon ImagePrograph 1000

Post by kngdmond »

I bought Printfab XL and upgraded to as far as it would allow me to without purchasing another license. I have version 1.13 installed. I had a Canon Pro 10 which Printfab worked just fine for printing halftones and films. That printer died. I read 1.05 added support for the Canon ImagePrograf 1000. I figured 1.13 would work, so I bought the Pro 1000. I've tried everything and the printer refuses to print anything from PrintFab.

I load a document in Photoshop, choose printer handles colors, open the PrintFab dialog. I choose A3+ (13x19), 1200 Super dpi, tried both transparent film and pro photo matte paper, I tried both automatic (front feed) and manual feed, set the brightness to 130, left intensity as is, went into the screen print options and tried both single black - prehalftoned, and single black 45 lpi, 25 angle, 240 saturation, spray dot size 2.

PrintFab accepts the file. Opens the print preview dialog. Looks great, click on print and the spooler opens. The green process bar passes once. The print job is successfully sent to the spooler. The printer display screen lights up as if its preparing to print.....then NOTHING happens. The printer screen stays stuck on preparing, the spooler and print manager says the file is being printed, no progess, no errors, no crashes, the printer vacuum doesn't kick on, doesn't even feed the film, it's just stuck. I've uninstalled Printfab, and re-installed. Same thing happens. Does version 1.13 really work with the Pro 1000? I know Version 2.1 works just fine, but I didn't want to have to pay again if the printer is supported in 1.13. All I do is print films.

I'd offer an error code if one would ever be genereated. Am I doing something wrong? Any assistance would be helpful. Thank you.
Matt
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Canon ImagePrograph 1000

Post by zedonet »

Hello Matt,

the Pro-1000 printer is supported and should work in PrintFab 1.13. Did you actually verify that PrintFab 1.21 solves the problem?

There might either be a general problem with the printer setup (e.g. network settings if the printer is connected via network) or a specific combination of print settings (media type, print quality, paper size) does not work. There are minor changes in the Pro-1000 driver in PrintFab v1.21 compared to v1.13 - the media code for "Canon MP101 paper" was wrong and the maximum custom page size has been expanded.

To check if the printer has been properly set up, please try to print a "Nozzle Check" and "Test Page" from the PrintFab app, dialog "Toolbox". If both works, printing from Photoshop generally should work as well but a specific combination of print settings may fail.

My suggestion is to start e.g. with

media type "Plain paper", quality "2 - 600dpi", page size "A4"

and then step by step move to your settings and see at which step printing fails.
kngdmond

Re: Canon ImagePrograph 1000

Post by kngdmond »

Thank you for the help. I did manage to resolve things and it's printing fine.

Not sure what went wrong, but I completely unistalled Printfab and re-installed it. I disconnected the printer from the network and re-connected it.
Ran a test print from the tool box at A4 and it worked. I then went into Illustrator and Photoshop and tried printing using the normal paper A4 and it worked. Since I print films and need black as dark as I can get, I tried using the the transparency and Photo Matte media and both failed. There's no error code or a popup that says "paper size / media mismatch", it just gets stuck in a "preparing to print" infinate loop.

I went through every single paper type and these media types work: Plain Paper, Photo Glossy Photo Paper, Canon Photo PaperPro Luster work without error. The rest get stuck in the infinate loop.

I did talk to other screenprinters and version 1.21 allows transparency and Matte Paper media types and also presents a "paper size / media mismatch" dialog when an unsupported size / paper type is used.

Thank you for your help and getting me up an running!