Won't print if printer name includes quote

Questions on Installation
Mike9

Won't print if printer name includes quote

Post by Mike9 »

Hi, I am new to Ubuntu - a long time Windows user, and once upon a time programmed PC-DOS & OS/2 developer apps. I have been trying to loose my dependence on Windows, but experiences like my install of TurboPrint move me backwards rather than forwards into the Linux community.

Having downloaded TurboPrint (Ubuntu 10.10, 32-bit, Canon i905D), the printer was found and although monitor reported ink levels and status, no attempt to print a file, clean nozzles, align print heads etc worked. I eventually ran TurboPrint from the command line, and then saw error messages which did not appear running the GUI. The messages made it clear that choosing a Printer Name containing a single quote mark caused a command line error (no closing quote). It was obvious then how to fix the problem (change Printer name), but this kind of error just should not occur in software that is licensed for a fee. I have my 30 days trial and will re-evaluate at the end of the period, but I do not think this software is ready for users who are not computer geeks who would think to avoid special characters in the name of something. The quote should not have been accepted in the edited name, and error messages should appear when operating the GUI.
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Won't print if printer name includes quote

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

thank you for your problem report! We will investigate and fix this as soon as possible.